New site launched: Galecia.com!

Screenshot of new Galecia.com siteThe Galecia Group is a library technology consulting firm that I've been working with as a web developer since late 2009.  After working on various web projects for the open source library community (LibraryFiltering.org, OpenSource.califa.org, rscel.org), we finally created and launched a new Drupal-based website for the firm itself this week.  The site owner had very specific requirements for design, architecture, and functionality - which required a decent amount of Drupal customization.

The old Galecia.com website was a Wordpress-based blog created in the late '00s.  Wordpress categorization features were used to separate content into blog entries, resource posts, client portfolio entries, links, etc.  The main reasons that the site owner cited for the overhaul were 1) to implement an aesthetic refresh, 2) improve information architecture, and 3) offer improved content management features.

Interesting notes, observations, components, techno-wizardry, drupal-fu, etc.:screenshot of galecia.com site

  • We began this project last fall and consequently used Drupal 6.  I didn't really think about it until tonight, but this is likely the last Drupal 6 site I'll build now that I've started building with Drupal 7.  Faster release cycle or not, I think we'll be able to sustain this in D6 for quite a while.  Any bets on D8 release date?  :-)
  • I didn't have much recent experience with Wordpress prior to this project - which turned out not to matter at all.  I was able to figure out how to backup/export the existing Wordpress site into the XML-based Wordpress archive format, WXR.  It was then a cinch to use the Drupal Wordpress Import module to import the entire Wordpress site into a clean Drupal 6 install.  The content corpus was around 200 entries with approximately 60 tags - all of which needed to be reorganized and sorted.
  • I created new content types for Projects (to represent client portfolio entries), Presentations (since the president of Galecia has done a LOT of speaking and writing), and enabled and customized Blogs.  Since every Wordpress entry was imported as a blog item, my standard process was to use Views Bulk Operations to export sets of items out, and then Node Import to re-import them into the correct content type.
  • In addition to classifying content by type, we also cleaned up the old tags and implemented Taxonomy Image to provide a common graphical element throughout the site for visitors researching a specific topic.  Users looking for information about library use of RFID or filtering software, for instance, can easily learn more about the topics as well as see Galecia's experience consulting on those topics for libraries across the country.
  • Galecia's designer (LIsa Krieshok) provided detailed home page mockups that I used as a guide for custom theme implementation.  I got to do some really cool theme-related stuff that I hadn't gotten to play with before: Google Web Fonts online font inlining, tons of custom views template overrides, node template overrides, CSS3 awesomeness, and more.  I was very grateful to have Jacob Roufa assisting with QA, browser compatibility testing, etc. since I didn't have access to a Windows or Mac instance a few times this week.
  • We're pulling content from Twitter as well as multiple Delicious feeds via RSS, then displaying that content by category in various parts of the site.

My roles on this project included architect, developer, and theme implementer.